VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Quilty things

I've been on a bit of a roll with my sewing just lately - this little kiddie play quilt is intended for a friend of mine who is expecting his first early next year. It's a block-in-a-box design.



It's a sort of Creature Comforts idea with the fabrics all showing animals, birds or fish. Gender-free colour scheme so it can pass on to number 2 if they ever have one. Cunning eh?



This bit of Oriental Splendour is the top of a quilt I'm going to call 'The Crane Exercises its Wings.' This is the name of a sequence of movements in the Lee style T'ai Chi Form and I intend to quilt the top in different ways to show the range of movements I've tried to indicate in the different blocks I've chosen.

Close-up. This is going to be a chance to get to grips with some free-motion quilting. I've done a little before but I will have a good practice session (or several) before I try it out on the quilt itself. Learning curve!

6 comments:

sewali said...

Wow, you have been busy Kath. Love them both ... lots of blues sneaking in there!

Kath said...

Well you know I like blue (a BIG bit!). The cranes quilt is actually rather more purple than it appears - flash does change the colours at bit. I like purple a big bit too!

Hazel said...

Ha! The photo file name gives me a clue as to who the gorgeous kiddie quilt is for - you kind soul!

I love the crane fabric too. No, I love ALL the fabrics, but particularly the crane fabric!

Kath said...

Oh yeah, what a give-away! I told him to have a look and that it's theirs if they want it. Going in the post today. Hence the schmaltzy MOM message yesterday!

HeyWayne said...

Schmultzy!? Pah - t'was heartfelt I tell ya.

LadyWayne and I are very excited - and extremely grateful!

Kindness doesn't even come close Hazel.

Jose said...

gorgeous work
Jose