More beans! These Kew Blue were picked on Thursday and Saturday. This is Sunday morning's haul. You can see one or two that I missed - they start to go a bit green. At this stage I find the inner membrane too tough but you can shell them out. I'm really impressed with this bean - it has a lovely flavour and texture and is very generous in its flowering and fruiting. This is a must-have each year.
The green bean next to it is our first serving of the Serbian Pole Bean I was given by a grapevine friend. With each new bean we are trying them both fresh and dried. This is resulting in every main meal in the last week or so being accompanied by the Bean of the Day. Yesterday we had two - Crimson Flowered Broad Bean and Ruth Bible (pole bean). Tomorrow may well be the first picking of Cherokee Trail of Tears.
Just popping in to edit and add that the Serbain Pole Bean is extremely tender and has an old-fashioned 'kidney bean' flavour. It's a flat bean that starts pale and grey-ish book cooks to a bright green. Might not be a massive producer at this stage but very nice to eat.

11 comments:
The Kew Blue look very interesting. Presumably they revert to green on cooking?
They do yes. Sad eh? However, my son has a theory (which I am minded to test) that if you pickled them in a white vinegar they would retain their colour. Crunchy pickled purple beans would be an interesting addition to a salad - if it works!
Hi, sorry that you didn't like the Black Krim. I have another that you might like Bull's Heart or Bolvisko Sertse in Bulgarian. I liked it very much but then I liked BK so who am I to be a judge.
Lots of these old varieties of bean have such wonderful names don't they? I've never heard of a Serbian pole bean!! I'm on the lookout sometime for a 'lazy housewife bean' and especially a 'dog bean'.
I find that I really like tomatoes with some acid to them, Frederick. The tom from Kracimera's family came ripe today and we did a taste test between them. Oddly enough, I thought that one more acidic and more to my taste. My husband described the Black Krim as 'sharper' - no accounting for tase as they say!
I don't have either of the beans you're after Matron. I assume Lazy Housewife is so called because it doesn't need 'stringing'. I can see why you want a dog bean though!
I'm no where near having my beefsteak black toms (paul robeson) ready for taste testing - but, like yours, they are not a pretty tomato!
Would love some of the lanky lads if you can spare the seed - you have my addy, I think. Thank you in anticipation, and I'll return the favour in due course...
Lanky Lads on their way Hazel.
I will send you some Golden Jubilee. It is a yellow or orange and should suit your tastebuds. We find it too sharp as a salad tom but in a sandwich with cheese spread, wonderful.
How are you for cherry types? I have galina also sharp but a selection of promising ones.
I'd love to try your Golden Jubilee Frederick. Sounds just my type! I've not heard of galina - (my geology reminds me it's a lead ore) but if you can spare a couple of seeds I'll give that a go.
I don't suppose I have any toms you don't have? Except maybe the Jester - saved the seeds from a pack from M&S. They are a medium sized oveal shape -nice flavour for a salad. Do you still have my address? Pop yours in with the seeds if you'd like anything in return. As you see, I have a lot of beans!
That is some haul ma! I thought you'd harvested anchovies until I puy my eyes in.
Fantastic quilt too.
Have you been sticking the bike pump in yout tomatoes again? That poor thing looks like he's wearing someone else's skin.
Inspirational as ever. Keep it up.
You posted me some of those Serbian Pole Beans, and very good they are too.
They remind me of a paler Tiger Bean.
Your Kew Blues look just like my Mr Brooks Blue
Post a Comment