These achochas (I wonder how you really pronounce that?) came from the allotment fence. I had read that they do better in a greenhouse so there's one at the far end of mine which has a few small fruits on it - I've had one from there already but that's it. I had forgotten to check the ones at the allotment. One is still barely off the ground. This one is fighting with the brambles on the fence and I picked 4 fruits yesterday with plenty more to come.I can't really say what they taste like. The first I had was in a stir-fry - these two went into a vegetable curry. The seeds are like little carved wooden swallows. I've saved them for next year.

6 comments:
OK, I'll admit my ignorance - what on earth is Achocha?
'The seeds are like little carved wooden swallows'
How wonderfully descriptive!
Amazing how well some things do when you ignore them for a couple of months!
I have no idea what achocha actually is - some sort of gourd thing I think, Bilbo.
And yes, Hazel, I heartily recommend a little benign neglect!
I've really taken to saving seeds too, I saved them into envelopes a couple of weeks ago but I think I will open them all up and check them again - I found 'visitors' in one of the envelopes!
Ooooh scarey Matron! Mine are still in bowls on the windowsill to make sure they are thoroughly dried. I don't THINK there's anything else in there - must do a roll call or a spot check or something.
My achocha has now started to flourish Ma, but no fruit yet - we live in hope. They do have the besist seeds ever though don't they?
Currently drying my first ever seeds/beans/peas on the windowsill.
Can it really be as simple as leaving them in t'sun?
Post a Comment