VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 21 April 2008

Sunny day!


I decided to make use of the first sunny day for ages to take my Lancashire Lad peas down the allotment to plant.


They were certainly well ready for planting and only the weather had held up the process. I reckon if it's too cold for me its too cold for the plants!

I erected a wigwam of 6 canes and as I'd got a theoretical packet of 10 seeds from the Heritage Seed Library but an actual packet of 11, I put 2 seedlings by each cane except the last.

I wrapped hairy green garden string around each cane to form a spiral for the peas to grow up until they get going, and amongst and between I did the black cotton thing. At least we quilters are never short of a bobbin of black cotton at crucial moments.


As an afterthought I went back with a bit of old plastic netting that was too torn to use to cover a bed. A strip of this went around the base of the pyramid as another layer of protection from the pigeon population. I didn't see a pigeon - I think they perpetrate dawn raids! - but I was roundly scolded by a male blackbird!

You can see there is a difference between these peas and the others I'm growing - self saved Markana - the ones with the mad little tendrils - and Oregon Sugar Pod. These Lancashire Lads are purple podded and the edge of the leaf has a purple tinge. The stem, too, has a hint of purple and the leaf axil is tinted too. These are altogether a fine looking pea and I look forward to sampling the flavour.


Afterwards I planted out my Oregons in the garden at home and pricked out 2 trays of each of Busy Lizzie and Lobelia for the summer display. Today, although there's a cool breeze, it feels like summer might come.



The small pond in the front garden is now a riot of Marsh Marigold. One of its common names is May Blobs but it's been in flower since early March and I think is having its best season yet. We've already had some 'pups' off it for another pond in the village. I think it will be splittable again this year.


I might risk sowing a squash or two later - I can't go too mad as I'm almost out of potting compost.

Then I feel a restful session of hand-quilting coming on!

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

You definitely deserve a sit-down and some hand quilting aftr all that activity. Peas look great, so does the Marsh Marigold.

QuiltSue said...

I should think you needed that restful session of hand-quilting after all that activity. Hope you enjoyed it?