VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 11 April 2008

Peas, Jenny and a visitor




Yesterday I had a session of planting out my Markana peas. They are a semi-leafless variety - masses of tendrils. I have made a climbing frame with a tough polythene mesh and bamboo canes and planted them in a double row at the base. Then I've put yog pots over the cane tops and stretched a fine mesh (Pound Shop - guess how much?) over the top and pegged them down to keep the birds off. When the peas get a bit bigger I'll take this off - it's the tender pea shoots they love. I've put the climbing frame up for a second row but didn't get chance to put them in - that'll be today's job if the weather bucks up.

The narcissus is called Jenny - like our daughter.

The pheasant must have flown into the garden but then forgotten it could fly out. We've had pheasants in before but this one thought he was trapped! I went down to the greenhouse and he ran behind it and into the garden; I came back and he ran back to the end again. Eventually I came in but he was still in the garden half an hour later when I decided to bring the tender plants in. He ran down the garden towards the house to evade me and when the house door opened and Himself emerged the pheasant, apparently trapped between two humans, remembered that he could fly and shot off . Daft wazzock!

I'm just off with another barrow load of home-cooked compost to the allotment. While there I'll dig some more strawbs to take to our son - we're visiting tomorrow. He also wants some Jerusalem artichokes. This is about the latest I could dig them up for re-planting I think. They are shooting pretty convioncingly at the moment.

2 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Perhaps he's related to the Ring Neck Pheasant who comes to visit us?

Kath said...

Maybe. Even as pheasants go, he was a bit brain-free!