VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 14 April 2008

Beans means ...

Colour, flavour, texture, nutrition. Climbing beans are just the most exciting things to grow. (Ok, there might be the slightest "Tprw!" - the horns of Elfland, faintly blowing, but you soon get used to it!) They are so smooth and tactile, you can't help playing with them.


I'm hoping to remember to take pictures of each of these beans in flower and in fruit to put together a page per bean including tasting notes. The first seven here are climbing or pole beans, the last is a butter bean - technically a runner. I'm also expecting a few Kew Blue in the post this week from a friendly grapevine member (Thanks, Bugs!). I'll add this when it arrives.































They are as follows -


1 - Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco - translates as Firetongue (Thompson & Morgan)


2 - Goldfield (Thompson & Morgan)


3 - Ruth Bible (from a friend)


4 - Serbian Pole Bean (from a friend)


5 - Cherokee Trail of Tears (Heritage Seed Library)


6 - Bird's Egg (Heritage Seed Library)


7 - Empress (Marshall's)


8 - Spagna Bianca (from a friend). This is the butter bean. You can't tell from the photo but it's about 4 times the size of the others. I think the name means Spanish White.

No comments: