VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 18 April 2008

Not forgetting broad beans

I had a Eureka! moment in the middle of the night. I'm growing The Sutton at my allotment and Red Epicure and Violetta in the garden. I still have plenty of seed of each so I'll decide which I prefer for next year before I start trying to save seed. However, where to put the precious Crimson Flowered (or flour'd as I saw it in an ancient document - 'Don't go getting all quaint on me!' was Himself's reply!) which I was given by The Grapevine's Muckdiva? I am really keen on keeping these going but don't want to risk cross pollination.

The new Cut Flower border! Yay!! I only have 10 plants - enough for a little colony but not enough to take away too much space from flower growing. So when they are a bit bigger (100% germination and now about 2" high) I shall put them in the front garden. The wonderful 'Back Garden Seed Saving' by Sue Stickland suggests about 3 metres should be far enough away but these will be about 30 from my garden beans and with the house in between too.

Next year I will put the preferred from the red and violet seeded in the allotment and the crimson flour'd (whoops, couldn't help it!) in the garden veg plot. Happy now!

1 comment:

BilboWaggins said...

Sounds like a grand plan and very traditional - beans are so pretty when in flower (should that be flour ?) they will look lovely in amongst the floral stuff.