VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Path, beds and spuds




This morning I planted the first new potatoes in the ground. They went in in 7 short rows on the garden plot - 4 rows of Arran Pilot, 2 of Charlotte and one of Anya. I have more Anya seed potatoes to go in at the allotment plot.

I mark the row by chipping a v shaped groove with the spade and actually plant the seed potato using a bulb planter. This removes a plug of soil without compacting the soil under the potato. The plug is then shaken back around the spud and when I've finished the row I earth up - mainly at this point to mark the rows. As the potato haulms break the surface I earth up again - it will be done 2 or 3 times until the last chance of frost has gone.




This afternoon I ventures down Saccy again. Family story - husband's grandfather had an allotment on a site behind his parish church and the site was always known as The Saccy (short for Sacristy). I'm enjoying bringing the term back into use again!


Path and bed system starting to take shape. This was the view yesterday when I'd dug two of my potential four beds and managed to straw down a path and a half before running out of straw. Both those beds are raked quite fine now and 3 paths are strawed but I forgot to take a picture today - found the camera in my pocket when I got home though! I have planted 3 Jerusalem artichokes by the fence. I aim to eradicate them from the garden. It might take a few years!

No comments: