VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 23 March 2008

Easter Sunday - Snow and parsnips







I got up early (5.15) this morning to attend the Dawn Service in the village church. It was snowing as I went - I had to go in my disgusting gardening boots but I took along a pair of respectable shoes for inside! It was magical in the dawn light - street lamps reflecting off the snow.


After the service we had breakfast - tea/coffee and croissants with jam. Then I went to look at the semi-lottie. This is the view from the path to the allotments.

The allotments were lovely all covered in snow. Bean frames and netting had all caught the flakes.


The gate from the allotments, seen as I left the site. Everything was quiet - it was 7.15 a.m. by then.

I got home and decided to do some seed sowing. I had to scrape the snow from the cold frame and the greenhouse - as far as I could reach.





Some of the parsnip seeds that I'd pre-sprouted were put into loo rolls of compost (using my jam funnel to get the compost in). Then I covered the seedlings up and watered them. Hoping for more to sprout soon - they came over a period of a couple of weeks last year.




I also sowed seeds of Achocha (never grown that before - it was a seed swap from the Grapevine), Aquilegia William Guinness - self saved seeds. I bought one plant from the Helmsley Walled Garden last year so I'm hoping to add to my stock. Then I put in some Ornamental Onion - same source, some leeks and pimento peppers (the latter also a Grapevine swap - wonderful place, the Grapevine!)



1 comment:

Jose said...

Lovely photograph of the church and the snow, would love to know what county this is in, but I understand you not wanting to advertise it
Must close your blog now, have spent too much time here... haha. Jose from Somerset