VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 4 March 2008

Bluebells, strawberries and half an allotment.


On Sunday I started to strip the turf from the 'grass path' in the front garden. This is the 'before' picture. It might be a week or so before we see the 'after'. It's horribly mossy grass and a real waste of space, so I intend to line the area with landscape fabric and top it with chipped bark to create a woodland feel. The turf is going in the compost bin that I emptied earlier in the day. The compost bin had huge long white shoots growing through from down below which turned out to be the Spanish bluebells I had removed last year. I'm trying to retain only the English bluebells. I had to go through the new compost with my bare hands - not too unsavoury but I could have used the time better! I used some of the compost on the strawberry bed - it remains to be seen if we have bluebells in the strawberry patch next year!



The strawberries arrived about 3 weeks ago while I was away for the weekend so I put them into pots in the greenhouse till the bed was ready. As the picture shows, they have formed lots of new roots and have all perked up amazingly. After adding plenty of compost I put the dozen plants into the bed.






They are in the centre bed. The first sowing of broad beans is behind (to the right of the plank)

I found one of my spuds in the greenhouse has come through so I topped it up with a little more compost.
Today I stripped more turf off and potted up the rest of my Rose de Roscoff onions then sowed some more. I potted on my Hungarian Hot Wax and Big Jim chillies. I noticed that the first of my hardy annuals has come through - it's the Blue Bonnet lupins. When I came in from the greenhouse I sowed some Black Krim tomatoes from a Grapevine friend and some which have been kept going by a family in Bulgaria. He calls them Kraci's Baba (Kraci's Grandad). I look forward to trying these. I also sowed a few Swiss Chard.
And today I was told that I can have half a plot at the allotment site behind the churchyard - about 100 yards from home!

No comments: