
First of January and I've got some lovely broad bean plants (and a good view of my 'planting plank' - for standing on when the soil's a bit muddy). They were started in modules and transplanted. At this time of year any broadies I've managed to raise are usually titchy little things sown direct but I've discovered polystyrene modules and I think I'm in love!
They are The Sutton so shouldn't get above a foot or eighteen inches high. Last year my Bunyard's Exhibition grew taller than me (5' 9") and had to be tied to stakes. (Steaks this year?)
I've also got the best double row of green cabbages I've ever had in the winter. Ain't retirement grand?
The pic on the right is my garlic. 2008 might turn out to be The Year of the Fish Box.
A second planting in another fish box by the greenhouse is just showing through. I have 4 at the moment, found washed up on the North Sea coast, but I can feel another expedition coming on.


1 comment:
Hi Flum - good looking blog you've got there!
I presume all the flea beetle are still asleep as your broadies are jus' perfect - I think I'll be pot sowing mine this year so they don't end up looking like lace doilies!
Post a Comment