VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 10 April 2013

A very late spring


Here's the current selection of plants taking part in the Power Yomp to the greenhouse and back, morning and night.  Top tray, on the right, are the cuttings from the over-wintered toms.  I think they'll be in bigger pots by the weekend.  Most of the others in that tray are peppers, both hot and sweet.  You can maybe see one tomato.  The three larger tomatoes in the middle tray are the same variety - my own unhybridised Sungolds - F7 or 8 ish probably - I've lost count.  That's how scientific this is!  They are a small oval orange tomato called Sweet Eleanor.

The other toms were sown at the same time as Eleanor - they aren't as far on because I didn't pot them up till a fortnight later.  This was because we went away for a few days and I didn't want the watering to be too onerous on a sister who was already feeding and watering chickens.  Varieties there are Green Zebra, French Black, Alicante and another home-bred - a cross this time - Golden Girl. 



I've just come back in from potting this little pan of herbs as a birthday present for a friend.  I normally hate to see plant labels but if you're giving someone a collection of culinary herbs it helps a bit if he can see what he's getting.  If someone had taken a video of me planting with one hand and waffing chickens away with the other it could have gone viral on YouTube!  I was laughing and telling them they were naughty while they were ducking in to grab a leaf!  Bad girls!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Now that would definitely have gone viral! :) I can almost see it playing in my head...

Sue Garrett said...

This week marked the start of real seed sowing for us and most are in a spare room under our growlights at the moment.

flowerlady said...

They certainly look like very healthy plants and I am sure will reward you in the long term for all your care and attention

BilboWaggins said...

May I respectfully suggest a tripod and Take Two for another herb pot. I'd pay to see that video :} (snortle)

First seeds into the soil yesterday, given we already have such a short growing season I'm not getting my hopes up this year :{

Paula @ Blooms 'n' Spades said...

The herbs are such a lovely idea for a gift. I usually give away my strawberry runners like this.

Stella on Age said...

Looks good