VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 18 April 2013

In the greenhouse

I've brought a few things on under glass this year, with the weather being so dreadful.


I would normally have sown these broad beans direct but the allotment soil was so waterlogged earlier in the year that they didn't get sown.  I put a few modules in the greenhouse with a bean per hole and they are mostly through.  I expect to get them in next week.



For several years I have put a few big pots or tubs in the greenhouse and planted one potato per pot, fairly well down, and part-filled with soil.  They are well up now and the time has come to add more soil.  It seem mean to bury them when they are looking so eager to go, but this results in more shoots from the stem and it's these underground shoots that swell into spuds.   These are Charlotte - always a favourite here, and we hope to be eating them at the end of May or very early June.  Considering that the rest of the seed potatoes are still chitting in the spare room, it'll be some time after that before we start harvesting from the allotment.  They've got to go in first!

Free basil.  


A couple of weeks ago I wanted some fresh basil and bought a bunch in a cellophane pack, from the supermarket.  I used what I needed and put the rest in a water in a drinking glass on the kitchen windowsill.  After a fortnight, most of the stems had rooted so I planted them all in one pot and nipped out the ends that looked as if they might flower.  This pot should see me through a couple of months.  I love free.  The price is right!

8 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

Do you managed to keep basil growing - if so how?

BilboWaggins said...

I did potatoes in pots one year but I don't think I used big enough tubs, the yield was very meagre.

As always, your plants look superb :}

Daniel Chapman said...

I like free plants too! :)

Steve said...

I am amazed our brad beans survived the snow and frost, they are outside and are about a foot tall.

Unfortunately my early planted bought tomato plants caught frost bite in the poly-unnel. lets hope it's all sunshine from now on!

Kath said...

The basil is still going ok Sue. They are susceptible to whitefly so you need to keep an eye on that. They also do better if you keep the tops nipped out, even if you aren't going to use them. They bush rather than going leggy.

Sarah said...

Hi Flum :) I was just looking back at an old thread of yours on the Vine talking about an aubergine plant with 3 seed leaves, followed by 3 true leaves. I don't suppose you can remember how the plant did in the end? I know, it was 4 years ago, so probably not still in the forefront of your mind...
http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/tricotyledons_28292.html
SarzWix

Kath said...

Hiya Sarah! Lovely to hear from you. It really did just about the same as the ordinary ones. I had hoped that it would branch and be prodigious but it was no different in yield (and the yield that year was poor anyway).

Matron said...

Indeed such a late Spring we have had to adapt from our usual routines. It looks like things are getting going now!