VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 16 March 2013

The Wedding Arch Lady


The first village wedding of the year takes place today.  The people being married live directly opposite the church porch so it's rather nice that they will see their arch for the rest of the week too.  The choice of flowers is always the bride's and she chose lemon and white.  I'd much have preferred a deeper yellow but it needs to match the bridesmaids' dresses!  


I snuck in some variegated foliage too, so there were hints of yellow in the greenery.  I always try to use as big a variety of background greenery as possible and here, much of it toned with the wedding colours too.  While I was producing my creation, a lady came into the church to make enquiries about the forthcoming wedding of her daughter.  Our official flower arranger pointed me out with, "Kath's the Arch Lady.  We'll have to make sure she's around that week."  Well, at least she said I'm a lady!

9 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

You dun 'em proud m'dear. And there are so many stupid things I could say about you being The Arch Lady ....

Hazel said...

Looks fab, as ever. :-)

Being described as the 'Arch Lady'? Sounds like either the matriarch in some sort of Star Wars thing; or someone with permanently raised eyebrows and a good line in put-downs.

Hmm. Suggest your flower arranger comes up with something different to describe you - will suggest something when/if inspiration strikes......!

QuiltSue said...

That looks lovely. I think lemon and cream are a gorgeous combination. What do you do if there are 2 weddings the same day though and one wants orange and the other wants purple flowers for example? Do they have a roses-at-dawn battle and the winner gets to have her colours?

Sue Garrett said...

Is that a bit like an archbishop?

Kath said...

I might choose to be an archangel! Mind you, I do have a line in put-downs.

We've never had 2 weddings in one day Sue - we get about half a dozen a year and they don't all choose to have the arch. Got 2 more this year so far - June and October.

flowerlady said...

very pretty,I have just dedicated one of the flowers I had in my wedding bouquet as my plant of the centenary so I am sure they will also remember this beautiful arch in years to come

Janet said...

I'll have to send the photos of the arches to my niece - how do you fancy nipping down to Wales to make an arch for her next summer ;)

Kath said...

I'm up for it Janet! We need the wooden framework building first though.

Daisy Debs said...

There is a church somewhere near Bodmin that we visited ( cant remember ) that had planted clumps of perenial sweet peas to climb and flower all around the arch entrance ...it was just beautiful!