Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!
Thursday, 12 July 2012
Whatever the weather ...
Mrs Blackbird has faithfully brooded and fed this little bunch of babies throughout the worst of the downpours. She's already had at least one brood but she had prevented access to the spare canes which are propped between the shed and the fence. The nest is up at eye level and beautifully sheltered. I was concerned that she flew off whenever we went into the shed but it doesn't seem to have done the little clutch of four 'peepers' any harm. They are quite well fledged and I think they'll be off in the next few days.
Our judges for Yorkshire in Bloom have just departed and seemed very happy with what they saw. We took them to the school where the head and some of the children spoke to them. They have been growing fruit and vegetables in big containers and the little ones made a flag in red white and blue bedding plants but sadly they were not in flower. Not surprising in the weather we've had. We finished the visit with cake - filled with the last of my raspberry jam from last year - it looks like there'll be enough raspberries, strawberries and tayberries to make jam again - and a cuppa.
Just a final picture to prove that, despite all evidence to the contrary, the soft fruit is ripe so it MUST be summer!
I feel so sorry for the children gardeners, their flag would have looked wonderfully patriotic if the sun had brought the flowers on. Our school gardening club is the same - nothing much to shows for the hard work, except perhaps some tiny potatoes. I hope that the summer will buck up during the holidays! We could do with a bit of warmth, even down here in London!
It was such a pity for the little gardeners Caro, but their older friends had plenty or show for their efforts. I'm sure the flag will come out in time.
4 comments:
I feel so sorry for the children gardeners, their flag would have looked wonderfully patriotic if the sun had brought the flowers on. Our school gardening club is the same - nothing much to shows for the hard work, except perhaps some tiny potatoes. I hope that the summer will buck up during the holidays! We could do with a bit of warmth, even down here in London!
Bribing judges with cake - have you no shame?
It's called 'appropriate hospitality' Sue!
It was such a pity for the little gardeners Caro, but their older friends had plenty or show for their efforts. I'm sure the flag will come out in time.
Village flower bed looks excellent. Hope you have lost fewer strawberries to damp & rot than us - not a good year for soft fruit.
Post a Comment