Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!
Tuesday, 17 July 2012
It was obvious this morning that the baby blackbirds would be off very soon. They were shuffling about and taking turns to stand and exercise their wings. I took this picture just this morning and since then they have all left the nest.
Here they were on Sunday morning, all with their beady eyes open and on me, wondering what I was up to. Many have wondered before them!
What I was really up to on Sunday was making 8lb of strawberry jam. We have had a real glut year, in spite of the slugs and occasional attacks of grey mould. Any strawberries slightly slugged get thrown to the chickens who we suspect of knitting welcome mats for slugs! Actually, when they get garden foraging times they will down a sticky slug in one, then spend ages wiping the glue off their beaks!
blackbirds.... to see them off is something we are quite familiar with. Children growing up, then suddenly they are somewhere else having life of their own.
4 comments:
Gorgeous baby blackbirds - I think I counted four which is a good brood to raise successfully. You'll miss them.
What lovely jam. The birds can't appreciate it, of course, but I have an idea that the chickens probably could.
I will miss them Sue. They were right by the shed door so we saw them several times a day. Yes, four of them!
The chickens will eat anything - they love strawbs but they aren't getting their beaks on my jam!
blackbirds.... to see them off is something we are quite familiar with. Children growing up, then suddenly they are somewhere else having life of their own.
Post a Comment