VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Wednesday, 2 February 2011

The sunshine of Seville

Not a holiday but a marmalade session. It feels like everyone has blogged about marmalade making so I'm going to as well! I used 2 lb of Sevilles this time and it took me over an hour and a quarter to squeeze and shred them. I left it all to soak in water overnight, including the pips you can see floating in their little muslin bag. It always takes longer than you think to cook the fruit enough so that the peel with rub away to nothing in your fingers. Especially difficult to check as it's at boiling point when you want to find out!

Here are the jars cooling - I love the click when the tops shrink back. As you can see, if a jar lid is in good nick I continue to use it and only use bought lids when I need to.


Lovely. These oranges have been soaking up the sunshine of Seville all last year and they will release it onto my toast in the morning. Fantastic!

6 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Looks fantstic. Is it "allowed" to strain the marmalade before bottling - I love the taste but not the "bits"

meemsnyc said...

Oooh, these will be so GOOD on toast! Yummy!

Jo said...

It looks delicious. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

Celia Hart said...

That's a good dark colour you've got! I bet it packs a punch on the breakfast toast!

Celia

Kath said...

No reason at all why you shouldn't strain it Bilbo - it will be Seville Orange Jelly then! I still think you need to cook it all up together though, as you want the flavour from the skins and the pectin from pith. I'd strain it before adding the sugar.

BilboWaggins said...

Thanks Flum, makes sense the order you describe things and yes, would need to cook it with the skin to get flavour/pectin.