Don't you just love Music Hall songs?

These olive green peas with dark plum and indigo spots are the seeds for Kent Blue, a fantastic old fashioned, slightly knobbly mangetout pea which I was very taken with last year. The peas are not blue, neither are the flowers (bicolour purple) but as the flowers fade they go to pale and very dark inky blue. The pods are produced in abundance - I gave lots of these away, ate lots myself and I only had 10 plants. This year I have sown 2 dozen. They grow to about 3 ft in height and as long as you keep the pigeons away in the early days, they go on flowering and producing peas for months. If you'd like a few, email me on the Vegheaven address.

Here are my 2 dozen, just about to have their heads dunked under the compost in loo roll middles. The point of these is that they give a decent depth of root and you don't disturb the root because you plant the whole thing, cardboard and all, which rots in the soil. Once they were pushed down and covered in a sprinkle more compost they were watered and the rolls were wetted too. I found that if I flattened the tubes in 2 directions I could produce a square section which fortuitously, fits into a 24 cell insert for a seed tray. Good eh?

These were sown a couple of days ago. The cells have a couple of lettuce in each and the loo roll middles contain the meagre 8 seeds I managed to produce from crossing Carruthers' Purple Podded pea with Magnum Bonum. Both are tall peas. Carruthers' is amongst the sweetest of the purple podders and Magnum Bonum, as the name suggests, is big and good. It's a huge pea and nicely sweet. I hope to get a purple, sweeter eating pea. You never know!
Oh yes, and I also sowed some Rainbow Chard and planted some lilies in pots.
11 comments:
I love Kent Blue myself. I'm hoping to save lots of seed this year so I've got enough for a decent crop next year, plus some over for swaps and the following year's planting.
I would love a few Kent Blue if you can spare them please. I have sent you an email. I'm not using toilet roll inners this year as the plants grown in them seemed to deteriorate last year, though it might just have been coincidence, they've done ok in them previously. I've never heard of that music hall song before.
Actually Jo, it's "She sits amongst the cabbages and peas." I think there's another version, "She sits amongst the lettuces and leeks." Either way, in Victorian or Edwardian times, it would have passed for rather rude!
Last time I used toilet roll inners they went all mouldy and 'yuk'. Any ideas what I did wrong?
I've never seen seeds like that. They're so pretty! Can't wait to see the flowers and pods.
Possibly kept them too wet Bilbo. If you keep the compost damp and plant out as soon as the seedlings look anything like, then make sure the cardboard is wet when you plant, you don't get too much mould trouble. It's also important to make sure you completely 'plant' the tube, to soil level. If there's any sticking up, tear it off (easy when it's wet) or it will wick the moisture away from the seedling.
No wonder I couldn't find 'she sits amongst the swiss chard & peas' when I googled - thought you'd made it up!
Against my better judgement, do you think that you could spare me a few Kent Blue? Resistance is futile!
I find loo rolls go mouldy too - but think that it's cosmetic and doesn't affect the plants. Didn't know that about wicking effect of up-standing cardboard - makes sense though.
I certainly can spare some Hazel. Who needs better judgement? (Fnar Fnar!)
Terrific idea re rolls! The Kent blue sound fabulous. Gotta look em up to see if I can get them here...
hi i have just got some peas to sow for show(show perfection) and they say they get mildew but they said if you could get someone to cross them with a mildrew resistant type i would be on a winner they sugested dorian but dont know have you ever tried this .i can give you show perfection if you fancy a go could be very interesting the show peas produce 13 peas per pod i think. regards chris.
Hi Chris, I haven't tried Show Perfection or Dorian, but to be honest I need all the room I have in the garden to grow out the crosses I've already done. Thanks for the offer though!
Hope you can get them Mrs Bok - I don't think we can send peas to Australia for some reason. (If you find out differently, let me know.)
Post a Comment