VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 18 February 2011

More cuttings and seedlings

These are the Cayenne chillies I sowed on January 5th. They are slow growing so I don't like to leave them too late. You do need to make sure they get enough light as they grow, though.

These are the cuttings of cuttings of my Sungold selection. This was a very vigorous and high yielding plant with golden egg-shaped tomatoes. Really good flavour, so I have seeds of this, the first of which has just shown above the surface of the compost.

This was last year's fruit. It was bigger than Sungold and less orange but a great tomato that I hope to be able to propagate entirely by seed. Part of the reason for the cuttings is to compare last year's with the next generation of seed to see if the new generation is as good.



These are fuchsia cuttings. It's a tender one and has such a gorgeous pale purple colour that I couldn't resist asking for a couple of snippets from my friend's hanging basket at the end of the season. She decided to do the same. Both our pairs of cuttings rooted in water and were potted up. A couple of weeks ago I decided that the taller of the two was a bit leggy so I nipped out the top and put it in water. I now have 3 cuttings and the one I nipped out has bushed out beautifully.

6 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

I think the fuchsias that we moved into our cold greenhouse for winter have had it - they are brown and crispy!

BilboWaggins said...

You are ~so~ organised and advanced this year, I am very impressed!

Jo said...

What a good idea to grow last years tomato as well as this years. You won't have to rely on memory for a comparison then.

becky3086 said...

These all look great! Hope they do well for you.

Mal's Allotment said...

Yep, I've been bitten by the Sungold bug too. How does it go - One bite and you're smitten? I've saved some seed even though they are a cross. Not as organised as you though!

Daniel Chapman said...

I've yet to have any luck with Sungold. Seems strange as they produce well for everyone else. Maybe this year will be the year :-) The fuchsia's looks good!