The two chief flower arrangers at the village church are coincidentally both away on holiday - and it's Harvest Festival on Sunday. I was asked if I'd help out so I happily did. You don't usually get to do things on such a grand scale at home. I raided the garden and added the pickings from a country walk yesterday and came up with a pedestal arrangement I was rather pleased with.

If I hadn't seen my friend Alison's pedestal arrangement (she's a professional florist) I might have been more pleased with what I'd done!

Still, it doesn't hurt to have contrasting styles. I always think I do relaxed and flowing but compared to the work of a pro mine looks rather constipated!

We also raided the hops growing along the churchyard hedge and looped them in swags around the tops of the pillars. I felt like Bacchus coming in with them draped around my neck! The smell was gorgeous (if you like beer!)
I also did an arrangement for the porch and for 3 of the window ledges. What fun! I shall go along on Sunday for a good sing too.
6 comments:
I think your arrangement looks every bit as professional, I'd be pleased with myself if I could to make a bunch of flowers look half decent in a vase, I can't even manage that. Do they have a veg display too with it being Harvest Festival?
Not bunged up at all {grin}. I think yours looks wonderful.
I think your arrangement looks fabulous! Wow.
Clearly I think too small - I would never have thought of whacking a few bramleys in the floral display - it looks fab!
The only time I have seen hops draped 'in the flesh' is when we went for a meal in a local pub/restaurant - mum (unimpressed) remarked on how much dust they would accumulate. I (disappointed) did not smell the beer in them.
We have small breweries close by - must 'do' the tour...
Actually I prefer your arrangement. To me the other one looks almost as though it's all drooping from lack of water.
Well, thank you people! I suspect the hops at your local must have been there for some time Hazel, if they had lost their wonderful perfume. The bramleys are next door's windfalls with a bit of thin garden cane pushed in so they stick in the 'oasis'.
One of the ladies does a small fruit and veg arrangement but these days, the produce all goes to the local shelter for the Homeless and Roootless and they prefer canned or dried goods so they don't all need to be used up at once. They also ask for washing up liquid. You don't think of that, do you?
Post a Comment