
Since I was harvesting them only a few weeks back, you will realise that these were damsons from the freezer. The wine was ready for bottling so I took advantage of a day of heavy rain earlier in the week to get a few jobs like this done. I have an elderflower ready to bottling too. If the weather stays as grim as it is now, I might get that done today too. Stocking up for Christmas!

6 comments:
Oooh, where do you get your wine recipes? This looks awesome!
Looks like you will have a merry Christmas! We've still got half a dozen sloe gin bottles made last year. Looks like this year is going to be a bumper year for sloes, I've seen loads about.
It looks very professional. I'm sure it will taste lovely.
I used to use books for wine recipes but in the last few years I have evolved my own. They consist of somewhat less fruit and sugar than the old recipes but also containe 1lb of minced raisins or sultanas which add fruit sugars and also give the wine body.
Sloe gin is a real winner! Must get some on this year. I bought the gin but we've started to drink it so I'll have to get some more!
Looks terrific, excellent colour. As always, splendid idea using raisins/sultanas. Must remember that for whenever I start again.
BTW, do you measure SG? How lethal is this one.
I used to measure the Specific Gravity Bilbo - I still have the equipment. However, I find I get a good result without and it doesn't really matter what the finished percentage of alcohol is, so long as it's enough to stop the wine going off. Never had that problem!
I like my wine with a dry finish so I keep the sugar on the stingy side. I know I could get it stronger if I wanted but I don't really feel the need to go that way.
Post a Comment