
I have just bagged up the beans I've been growing for the Heritage Seed Library - Fabes de la Granja Asturiana. They are really impressive in size even when dried - I should think they swell up and cook like a very big butter bean. I had some rotting off of seed in the very cold spring - May was a pig! - so I thought I'd better send all the seed back rather than trying recipes. I have kept back enough to grow them again next year for the HSL and a few to grow for myself so I can try them out - I envisage some fantastic tapas recipes! I have sent back photos of the bean both in its green form, as it matures and shelled out like this. I can already sense that olive oil, garlic and tomatoes will feature alongside these beans when I finally get my hands on a few to eat!
11 comments:
mmm They look so lovely and creamy! I'd love to grow some!
They look great - you can smell the garlic & tomatoes!
Thanks for the HSL reminder - I meant to send back the pea and bean seeds I'd saved last month - that was before this cold struck :{
Those beans do look rather big. I would be so worried growing seed for the Heritage Seed Library in case they failed. It's quite a responsibility ensuring that varieties aren't lost.
Those look fantastic.
They always insist that you shouldn't worry about your crop Jo. There are always a good number of Guardians for each variety so it isn't all down to you! I grew these at the home veg plot and all my other french beans at the allotment to ensure there was no crossing.
Those are nice looking beans. What are the pods like?
Plain green pods, Ottawa Gardener. There will be a picture earlier in the year - in August - post title Guardian Beans.
Beans are just so tactile to handle and come in beautiful colours. I've never grown enough to store for Winter stews!
Very nice (and large!) beans. You are doing a wonderful work keeping old varieties alive. I'm doing a smaller part myself by at least buying heirlooms...
Charlotta
Cesar's Garden, Sweden
They do look a good size - very much like beans we've had in Cyprus. They sound delicious with tomato, garlic and oil, great food kept simple!
Those beans are big! Very nice and the dish sounds good too :-)
Post a Comment