We have had several wet days and are forecast several more so I decided it was time to bring in my drying beans, wet as they are! Most are drying spread out on newspaper but I always shell some out to use as 'shelly beans'. I never find green beans quite satisfactory when eaten from frozen so I don't bother anymore. I eat all I want when they are fresh and let the rest dry on the plants - or grow varieties that I only grow for drying.

These are new to me this year - they are Major Cook's Bean, from the Heritage Seed Library. I have left most to dry but I decided to freeze a small bag as shellies. I use them in soups or casseroles and they can be lobbed in straight from the freezer. They don't take nearly as long to cook as they do when soaked and cooked after drying.

These are Bird's Egg - a really pretty bean. You can see the dried ones on the left. The difference in size is because the shellies still contain the moisture which is dried out of the others and has to be added by rehydrating overnight.

These are Coco Blanc, also new to me this year. The few dried ones I still have are on the left and the wonderfully large chunky, freshly shelled beans are also destined for winter casseroles and stews. Shelly beans are brilliant but don't seem to be part of British tradition. If you have beans on your plants for seed, I urge you to try a few like this.
11 comments:
I to am a big fan of 'shelly' beans and those Coco Blanc beans look great - just right for a nice Spanish tapas dish ;-)
Celia
I love all the different sizes, shapes and colours which beans come in, they're so tactile. I could sit an play with them for ages.
They look great!
I can and do play with them! I shall report on the tapas possibilities later Celia - something with chorizo maybe?
Yep - love playing with those beans too!
Now I have the freezer space, I might be persuaded to put some in as 'shellys' - I presume you shell when the pods are green (or red, or yellow, or purple for that matter!) and fat, but before they go brown and crispy?
Oooh, those beans are gorgeous!
I quite agree on the shelly beans front. I hadn't used them like this until this year and they are wonderful. My Borlotti beans are so creamy and taste a bit like butter beans - lovely.
Yes, Hazel, you need to catch them just before they dry - the leathery stage is about the latest you can do it. The bird's egg beans were still red - but they need to be quite lumpy so you can see the bean inside. As Clare says, they are wonderfully creamy. I think the texture is better than dried and re-hydrated but it all depends on how much room yoou have in the freezer. They don't take up much room though!
I was given a few beans yesterday, here you go, have some 'magic beans' they said.. at first I thought they were pulling my leg, but the variety is genuinely called 'magic beans' :D
I wonder how high the beanstalks grow Craig? You'll know next year!
I will indeed find out :D
Post a Comment