VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 10 September 2010

Harvest time

These are my 'Yoghurt' beans. They came from a cross between Soldier and something else - the cross happened before I got them. I grew the F1 generation, a climber with red pods and black beans, the F2 of which one plant had these lovely creamy beans and this is the F3 and all the Yoghurts have come true. They produced the best crop by far in the drought of a summer we had and they are definitely going forward to next year.


The first produce with this year's damsons, Damson Jelly. We picked over 18 lb a couple of days ago and put many in the freezer in jam-sized batches. A bag went next door where I think they are also destined for jam. However, we have barely made an impression. I wonder what the total haul will be this year?

This is the last 2 days worth of tomatoes from my Sungold/Tiger Tom cross, Ice and Fire. The plant is producing hugely and as you can see from the 50p piece, they aren't a bad size. The flavour is fantastic and this tomato will definitely be in the greenhouse next year.

5 comments:

sewali said...

I didn't realise the damsons would be ready yet, I'd better check ours as you're further north. Damson jelly is a grand idea, saves hauling all those wretched stones out LOL! It's all looking good. I've got a recipe for Hedgerow Cheese I want to try this year, I'll put it on the blog sometime if you're interested.

Jo said...

Glad to see that you're having success with both your bean and tomato breeding programme. The damson jelly looks delicious and the jars look very professional with those lovely labels.

Kath said...

I do fancy Hedgerow Cheese Ali. I might also try a damson leather.

The labels were a gift from my Mum-in-law Jo. She finds all sorts in her rambles!

Matron said...

those tomatoes look just the right size for popping in the mouth.

BilboWaggins said...

that does look wonderful, I ought to go looking for damsons here (I know where they should be some) but in truth, I don't have the time to make anything right now and friends have been generous and I already have a couple of jars of damson jam in the cupboard.

Jelly sounds a brilliant idea.