
Another view of the front garden. The lovely frothy flower in the foreground is a filipendula - relative of meadowsweet but I think, much more elegant! A yellow rock rose spills round it onto the driveway.
Looking down the back garden towards the garden room. As you can see, I go in for what my husband calls a plum pudding garden - stuffed with goodies. It's really a plant collection.Beyond the garden room to the back garden veg plot. Strawberries are safe from blackbirds. On top of this cage are 3 old windows so it gets lovely and warm in there and the fruits ripen at a great rate!

This is a not-very-showy but fantastically fragrant honesuckle that edges the patio outside the backdoor. There's a small table there and it's ideal for outdoor breakfasts and lunches as it gets the sun till early afternoon.
How about this for a poke in the eye? Lysimachia punctata and Geranium sanguineum fighting it out for retina space!
Some weeds you've just got to love. This Geranium pyrenaicum or Hedgerow cranesbill is growing tenaciously from a crack in the pavers by the shed. I just can't lob it out!
Ok, just one pea eh? Kent Blue here, the heritage shorter growing mangetout. You can see why it gets its name. The flowers, as they go over, turn this amazing blue colour. It happens to a lesser extent in many of the purple flowered peas but these are rather striking. The knobbly, curved little peas are lovely too and I'm finding them very prolific croppers.
Some weeds you've just got to love. This Geranium pyrenaicum or Hedgerow cranesbill is growing tenaciously from a crack in the pavers by the shed. I just can't lob it out!
Ok, just one pea eh? Kent Blue here, the heritage shorter growing mangetout. You can see why it gets its name. The flowers, as they go over, turn this amazing blue colour. It happens to a lesser extent in many of the purple flowered peas but these are rather striking. The knobbly, curved little peas are lovely too and I'm finding them very prolific croppers.

13 comments:
What a gorgeous cottage garden, I'd love to turn my green desert into something like that, I just don't know where to start! And even if I did, I doubt I could get a fork more than half an inch into the concrete that calls itself soil in our garden at the moment!
I love scented pinks. I've grown some pinks from seed this year and will be so disappointed if they don't have a lovely scent.
Often the Easter after a wet winter is a good time to plant up a garden Ali. Things are dying to get going and have some nice moist soil for their roots. You are often advised to plant in autumn but I find a cold wet winter can see off new plantings. Last winter certainly would have!
I grew pinks from seed one year GLA. Without exception they were sweet scented.
The peonies are amazing! Love the fragrance.
The pea flowers don't look out of place with the ornamentals. I love the geranium which has popped up in the paving cracks, it's amazing how little plants need in order to survive.
Very true, Jo, and yet how many of those we cosset don't make it. Frustrating!
That blue pea flower is amazing!
Lovely!
OMG, I love Kent Blue. I'm writing it down now on my seed list. Beautiful. And the rest of your garden looks great too. I like the expression Plum Pudding Garden and think that I may have one too. Nice idea, the cage with windows on top.
Remind me when I colect the seed Ottawa Gardener - I'll send you some. It's not available to buy over here but we get it from seed swaps. Once you've got it, you pass it on!
Ruddy Google! I've been trying to leave a comment for 3 days {gg}. It all looks fabulous and I am in awe of how you find the time to look after it all so well.
Well the 3 day wait was worth it - for me. Thanks for the comment Bilbo. You ought to see the house though. It's my equivalent of Dorian Gray's picture in the attic!
what a beautiful garden. i am very jealous! it looks so free and natural. those pea flowers which turn blue look fabulous. maybe i'll try some of those myself next season. i am growing a purple podded pea variety this year and can't wait to open the purple pods to reveal the lime green peas. a feast for the eyes indeed!
Post a Comment