VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 19 June 2010

New peas - more pics

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my mangetouts at an earlier stage. The pictures on the previous post showed the pods when they were at the stage that I could definitely identify them as mangetout. When mature, they are knobbly and distorted and less than appetising to look at!

Here's the new purple mangetout , no 23, at the stage at which I'd probably pick it for eating. You can just see the peas inside but (I know, 'cos I ate one the other day) it's juicy, sweet and crisp.


This is a 'varicose' pea at an earlier stage. It has more purple colour than the mature pod and is less like a veiny leg! No more tasting of these though. They are being saved for seed. I'm glad to say that the dark purple one has branched and there are 3 good thick stems all holding pea pods and still producing flowers.

3 comments:

Jo said...

It's all down to taste in the end, so it's good that they're up to scratch.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

I do like your description of those 'varicose' pods. I've had a few like that too and they do have an unfortunate veiny look about them ... especially as they mature and start to look a bit bloated. Ewww.

Sometimes though, you get the purple colour in more of a lightning flash, which is quite nice.

The fully purple one is a beauty though. Glad you got what you were looking for among these F2s.

BilboWaggins said...

So very pretty.