This is number 15. A couple of dodgy photos here because they were in the shade and I tried several times - I'm at the limit of my little camera's performance here!
This one is number 12. Interestingly (to me) these two are from the group of 4 planted together that started very dark, short and stocky but eventually reached a medium height. Number 13 and 14 are green mangetout. These and one other green mangetout came from the dark seeds.
But here's the one I shall write home about (only I live here so I don't need to). It is a tall, purple podded, genuine mangetout pea, it tastes sweet and it has a multi-branching habit so it crops heavily. The final test is to cook one but as I like to eat my mangetout as part of a salad, it's just for completeness really.
I have no illusions however. I shall save the seeds from all those that look and taste decent and I shall grow out this particular line next year. I know I have several years of selecting and roguing (ok, eating!) ahead of me to try to fix a line like this. But what an exciting morning I've had!
Thanks go to my staff (the chickens) for finishing up the spare peas. They didn't seem to mind that some of the failures were a bit mealy or had a bitter aftertaste.

7 comments:
What an interesting process to breed and then grow out a potential new line. Love the purple variations too.
Congrats on getting a nice purple mangetout! It should produce mangetout offspring for you, and if you're really lucky it might breed true for purpleness too. But the main thing is just to enjoy it in all its glory!
Very impressive, and as you say - great taste too which is what it's all about. Look forward to watching the development.
Nice work on the peas!
How exciting. It certainly adds something extra to growing your own.
Gosh, how exciting! ..they do look like varicose veins, don't they?
They do at this stage Matron, when you can feel the peas inside the pods. They are rather more beautiful when they are at the stage you would normally eat a mangeout - nice and flat! Maybe I need a picture of that.
Post a Comment