VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Rain at last!

We've had a huge amount of rain (a quarter of a barrowful!) in the last 24 hours, but the land really needed it. A couple of days ago I planted out some beans and the top of the soil was moist from a recent shower but the dirt an inch down was like dust. Yesterday it started raining after I'd planted out another couple of lots of dwarf french beans, a courgette and a crystal apple cucumber and it's barely stopped since. It's not really cold though so it should have a great effect on rates of growth. (It certainly is with the chick-weed!) Yes, naughty me - I should have put the barrow away!

Peas are swelling on the experimental patch. This is Lancashire Lad x Oregon Sugar Pod no. 2 with its long, slightly curved pod. This is swelling up like a sheller, as are all the green pods.


Here you can see numbers 1 and 2. 1 might be a mangetout, can't tell for sure yet. I tried number 3 as a mangetout a couple of days ago. It was purple and very juicy and crisp. It's still not all come out in the wash though, as some are only in the very small pod stage just yet.

I am still making copious notes. Time will tell.

3 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Rain irrigation is like a tonic for the garden - artificial irrigation never has quite the same positive effect.

Peas look yummy!

Jo said...

It saves lots of watering time if it rains straight after you've planted out. We had rain yesterday but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays fine today and tomorrow as my son has gone on a school trip.

Sue Garrett said...

Now it doesn't know when to stop - wouldn't be too bad if it was at least warm!