VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 7 March 2010

Mainly peas

These root-trainers contain early sowings of peas just coming through. These are Goldensweet, the yellow mangetout which featured in Mendel's genetic experiments. I hope it will feature in mine later this year!

The next 3 rows of root-trainers contain Ezetha's Krombeck Blauwschok, a purple podded shelling pea. I hope to cross these later this year. They have all grown in the cold greenhouse.

Remind me to think of a pronounceable name for the best of the offspring!




This little pot contains Kent Blue peas. They are also round-seeded and very hardy. I soaked the peas for 24 hours then sowed them into a deepish pot on the kitchen windowsill. As soon as the little plants were standing upright they went out into the cold greenhouse after a few days of 'out in the day, back in at night' to accustom them to the change.


I haven't grown these before but I've seen pictures of the flowers which are stunning.






At the same time I sowed the root-trainer peas I put in some broad beans. They too have spent the whole time in the cold greenhouse. There are just a couple at this stage, noses peeping out of the compost.

I don't suppose it will be long before the others come through.












My F2 home-crossed peas are really doing well. They are now at the stage where I can see that some will have at least some of the purple colouring exhibited by their 'Dad' - Lancashire Lad. This is a rubbish photo but it's possible to see the purplish colouration around the edge of the leaves of this specimen, and there are others like it. This means I am likely to get some with purple pods. The 'Mum' plant was Oregon sugar pod. I'm intrigued to see what characteristics this spread of F2 peas will demonstrate.
Yesterday I sowed some more tomatoes, including 4 of my own from crosses and selections. Exciting times!
I also sowed some summer cabbage, Copenhagen Market, which was a success last year.

8 comments:

Daniel Chapman said...

Loving all those peas! Mine will be started late march, can't wait. All your plant experiments are so cool.

Sewing Granny said...

I love reading your Blog, it makes me see that spring is nearly here with all those little green shoots showing - this is the worst winter(in many different ways other than the weather) we have had for a long while and you cheer me up with your little plants.

Kath said...

Thank you Dan and Granny. I do what interests me - I'm glad others find it interesting too.

Hope spring brings better things Granny!

Ottawa Gardener said...

I just got some root trainers to try out. How long do you find they last?

Stefaneener said...

They look so great. I'm only having yellow and green this year, but I'd love to grow some purple podded ones. So much fun.

Kath said...

Hi Ottawa Gardener. I got mine second hand - a group in the village got some locally sourced wild flowers to plant in the area and they came in root-trainers. I politely asked if I could have them if no-one else wanted them! They are now in their third year with me.

Stef, if you'd like some purple podded peas, send me an email with your address and I'll let you have some

Anonymous said...

What is a root trainer?

Chris

Kath said...

Hi Chris - it's a tall but narrow container, hinged at the bottom like a book, and when it closes up you have 4 compartments, each with a drainage hole. The sides are ridged so that roots, when they hit the side, go downwards, not around, as can happen with conventional pots. They are particularly good for things like peas that like a good root run and are better with the root undisturbed. Many people start their onion sets and shallots in them too, as they do ensure a strong root system.

I still sometimes start peas in a deep pot and separate them. You are not supposed to disturb the roots of peas but if you are careful, well, I've never had any problems.