
Those in the foreground are Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok and the far ones are Goldensweet. I grew both last year and had some idea of breeding from them but they were sown at different times and they weren't in flower at the same time. This year then!

The root trainers open up to show that the peas have had their roots drawn down to the bottom of the unit and ready to set off downwards in the soil. I love these for peas and beans. I now have several empty ready for the mass bean-sowing in mid April.


These are two of the hellebores from seedlings of the 3 original dark coloured plants I bought the first the years we were here. We've had some very dark purples and at least one cream. Many of these are around the village now in the communal flower beds.
Watched by chickens -

A ladybird sunning herself on the cap of a plant-food bottle.
4 comments:
I've only recently found your blog, but I've had a fascinating read of your previous posts. How exciting to be breeding your own variety of beans and tomatoes. I'm looking forward to seeing what this years batch produce. I keep seeing helebores on blogs, which remind me how lovely they are. I must get some for my own garden. I notice that you have a degree in geology. My son will be taking a GCSE in this next year, and this is a subject which he is considering taking at A level. He's been lucky to get on the course as the school don't run this subject every year, and surprisingly, there isn't a big take up on the subject. He's really enjoying it though.
Hello and welcome Jo! I bought my hellebores in bloom - it's the only way to know what you're getting. I especially like the deep purples and bought 3 of these, but the resulting offspring are amazing.
Yes, plant breeding is very exciting - in a slow way! You really don't know what you'll get and of course, 2 people would probably choose 2 different lines to follow up. You really do get chance to choose your own favourite.
Geology is a fascinating subject. It covers all the sciences in different ways. I hope your son continues to enjoy it.
The pea starts look wonderful and should get off to a very fast start. The ladybug picture made me smile. I know they are just a bug really - but there is something really cheerful about their appearance.
That reminds me, I must get my peas planted out. I'm growing Hurst Greenshaft this year.
Post a Comment