VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Saturday, 20 March 2010

Frogspawn! March 20th 2010

The first frogspawn of the year popped up to the surface of the back garden wildlife pond this morning. You can see a few frog bottoms on this picture too!

Yesterday was a lovely day, warm and bright, so we pressed on with a garden job or two. I needed potting compost and the chickens needed pellets so we decided to have an expedition. We managed to include a lunch out - I had Thai fishcakes with a sweet chili dipping sauce. Himself had fish and chips.

When we got home we let the chickens out onto their little 'field' and started to stool down the eucalyptus. It hadn't been done for 2 years and was well overdue a sharp haircut. The new foliage will be the lovely coin-shaped leaves with the stem perforating them. I'm hoping there'll be some good stems for the village wedding in July.

5 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

How lovely, Spring is definitely sprunging then!

kitsapFG said...

I love it when the spring frog chorus kicks in. We have largely tree frogs in our area (surrounded by dense mixed forest) but their happy salute to spring is a pleasure to hear every year. I am heading into a week off from work and intend to enjoy a few lunches out and days of playing in the garden and kicking about on a few adventures.

Stefaneener said...

I've never seen that before. Lucky you.

QuiltSue said...

Sounds like you had a good day.

Matron said...

Isn't it wonderful to get outside and have a clear up! the bright sunshine really got me going last week and I found the energy from somewhere to keep going all day! (aching a bit now though!)