VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 25 September 2009

Round the new allotment - and another bean!

Here's The Beast! This is the long (just about the width of my plot which is 7.5 strides) bean frame. It is strung with green coated garden wires and presently supports a drying crop of yin-yang beans and the last dregs of an unknown runner. Being me, I have shelled these out to cook as dried beans.

We have had a good few helpings from the autumn raspberries which still seem to have a few to come. I have never had raspberries before although I love the flavour.


And weeding the old half plot to keep it in reasonable nick for my lottie-mate, I found another interesting bean on my little Rogue Soldier plantation. This one is a fabulous cream colour. It's the one on the left in the picture, the right hand one being shop bought haricots. I feel mine to be superior, she announced smugly!

7 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Certainly plumper and prettier!

Hazel said...

I noticed some real variations in the markings on last years climbing barlotti - but only as I was weighing them out to cook this evening.

Must pay more attention!

BilboWaggins said...

You've never had raspberries?!?!?! You mean you have never "had" (as in possessory in garden) as opposed to "had" (as in bowl for tea?)

That's a wonderful plot you've inherited, the bean frame looks great and all Alec's hard work could not be in better hands for the future.

Kath said...

'Had' as in owned the canes and grown the fruit Bilbo!

Daniel Chapman said...

You have been harvesting some great looking beans! I harvested the Vermont Cranberries that I was telling you about today. Pretty good harvest off of just two plants. I'll look forward to our swap in seed trading season.

Matron said...

Something strange happened when I picked all my dried Lazy Housewife beans off the vine. We then had a spate of lovely warm sunny weather and it started to produce little edible green beans all over again! A lovely, if unexpected, late crop!

Kath said...

What a bonus Matron!