VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Thursday, 17 September 2009

Roman Camp

We went up to north Yorkshire today and after lunch at The New Inn, Cropton (Brewery on site!) we went to Cawthorne Camps. These are huge earthworks raised by Roman soldiers.


The whole site is elevated at one side - you certainly wouldn't want to creep up on an armed Legion from that side! The rest of the rectangular area has a ramp and ditch, sometimes double,

Himself ventured up to see how it looked from the top.



On the way home we called in at the Roger Plant Centre (used to be Roger's Roses) to pick up a redcurrant bush, a couple of trays of spring cabbage and some Alderman pea seeds.
I got Senshyu Japanese onion sets for autumn planting. I didn't know about my new allotment until last week so I have room for more greens and some over-wintering onions. Time to get planting tomorrow!

7 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Looks like a nice visit. Of course, anything topped off by a garden center visit would be a fine outing.

Heee -- my verification word is Latin: "denti." Seems appropriate.

Hazel said...

Wish you'd said about the Alderman peas - I have plenty spare!

I'm afraid that I'm not good at being impressed with anything older than the middle ages - before that I just can't imagine. Give me a good castle ruin any day!

Celia Hart said...

The Roman earthworks look fascinating.

Snap - I too bought overwintering onions at the weekend - plus shallots and garlic. Thought I'd wait until after it rained before planting - it's dry and dusty here, with the lawn dried to brown! We'll enjoy the weather over the weekend and fingers crossed for an overnight shower.

Celia

BilboWaggins said...

Hmm, the fun of being completely retired. How's he enjoying it?

Kath said...

Forgot you had Alderman Hazel. But it was an impulse buy - with some people it's shoes - with me (and you?) it's seeds!

We haven't had rain for art least a month Celia. Everything's like dust - the chickens love it!

Himself is really enjoying retirement Bilbo. He now realises I was right when I said there wasn't time for doing (unimportant) things.

Celia Hart said...

The hes love it indeed - our whole garden is one great big dust bath!!!!

One good thing is that the hens are digging up the walnuts the squirrels have buried - result!

Celia

Kath said...

Can you train them up with truffles?