VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 11 September 2009

New plot!

This is the view from the back of the plot, with autumn raspberries directly in front, then summer rasps, blackcurrants and tayberries. Beyond these are some frames which have had short peas, and then a big, very strong, bean frame which currently holds a reasonable crop of Yin-yang beans which I shall leave to ripen. You can just about see a green Dalek compost bin at the far end.


This is from the other end, with an open compost heap (which has a massive gooseberry bush next to it, then a couple of rather feeble looking rhubarb plants). I have more than enough rhubarb from a couple of plants of an excellent variety in my garden so I think they are doomed. I shall replace them with 2 of the layered cuttings I took from my garden red gooseberry. They have been in the ground in the garden, though not in the most suitable places, for a year, so I'll lift them when they're dormant and give it a go.
There are two beds edged with wood, one of which is full of strawberries and the other seems to have had salad leaves, leeks and beetroot.
Then there's a largish space before the bean frame. The blackcurrant row has about 4 bushes but there's a gap at the end. I'm thinking of maybe a couple of redcurrants in there.
Himself and I spent an hour last night pruning and tying in the tayberries and I spent 2 hours this afternoon clearing the weed overgrowth and digging. I moved my Dalek from the old half plot and then harvested some beans from there.

10 comments:

Hazel said...

Wowee! What a fabulous looking plot! The fruit bushes sound good, although I predict that the moment you try to dig out weedy rhubarb bushes they will be stirred into life.

You can never have too many leeks, so a bonus there, and a really sturdy bean frame, by the looks - will that mean that you have a permanent bean trench and not incorporate your climbing beans into a rotation?

Look forward to hearing your plans!

Matron said...

Watch out for those Autumn fruiting raspberries, they are thugs! Mine have suckered right under the crazy paving and are forcing their way up through every crack!

Stefaneener said...

Oh, so lovely! You will greatly enjoy this, I'm sure.

TiaChica said...

Congrats on your new plot! Enjoy!

Kath said...

I might well keep a permanent bean plantation, haven't yet decided. As the plot has been a little neglected there are weeds tangled in the framework at the moment. My instinct is to move it to clear ground and start the permanent bean trench there so I can clear the weeds.

I know about the enthusaism of autumn rasps Matron. The ones from the plot next to my old half one keep coming under the path and popping up in my potatoes or greens. I can be ruthless if I've a mind!

Been there again this morning and done paths and edges and loads of weeding. It's starting to look like someone owns it again.

BilboWaggins said...

Hang on a cotton-pickin' moment here .... during the horrible soon-to-be-forgotten-month of August I haven't kept up with blogs or Grapevine ... have you got yourself another half plot in addition to the original half plot, or another complete plot, and are you keeping the first half plot?

love from confused Hobbit of Bag End

Kath said...

Dear Confused Hobbit - I have been offered a full plot so at the moment I have one and a half, but my old half plot is to be offered to my friend who currently has the other half. (Once I've harvested my crops, that is). As things are being removed and eaten, I am digging the beds so she won't be inheriting a mess!

Celia Hart said...

Thanks for asking the question Bilbo and Veg Heaven for the answer - I was very confused. You miss a few episodes and there's a whole new storyline...

Celia

Garden Girl said...

So jealous. Our half-plot was too much for us because it was so totally weedy and carpeted and flecked with nails and other gubbins. So I have given it up. I would love to inherit a plot in good working order...
I am going to have to reconsider my home plot and what I am growing there...
Soon...
One day...

Kath said...

Sorry to hear about the problems with your plot Garden Girl. I had a home plot for 8 years here before I got my half allotment. Here's hoping you get a good plot before too long.