VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 9 September 2008

This and that


This - being the un-sungold which is colouring up beautifully. It seems to be keeping the colour of the parent - and the size. Let's hope the flavour is a good'un.




That - is the Achocha in full frontal mode on the allotment fencing. It's a very attractive plant. The foliage reminds me of the hop that grows further along the fence.



It's got the same fresh, light, apple-green colour and you really have to search amongst the foliage for the fruits.

This beautiful comma was in the allotment hedging too. It's the first I've seen this year - last year at this time there were quite a few on the garden buddlejia. I tried to get a better shot but it scarpered!

5 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Did we ever decide what Achocha tastes like, and what on earth you're going to do with it when it's grown? (and please, don't say "eat it" . . . I know you, that is the answer which was instantly forming on that clever little keyboard of yours!)

Matron said...

Interesting! your Sungold offspring look to be more yellow than gold. Mine never did ripen at all. Inedible orange with green. Methinks I will actually have to BUY a packet of seeds next year!!! LOL

Kath said...

Well Bilbo, we have eaten loads of achocha, but always in a pasta sauce, on a pizza, in a stew etc. I keep meaning to try it on its own.

Yes Matron, so far they are a deep golden yellow rather than orange. I think they need a couple more days to ripen up and then will come the important bit - the tasting! I have 'actual' Sungold to try them against and I'll take a photo of one of each for comparison.

I'm finding that my 'Strawberry' toms - un-hybridised from Berry - are, to my taste - better then the original. Fingers crossed for the un-Sungolds!

Hazel said...

Feel free not to post this comment, and I may be wrong, but I think that you've cocked up your email addy on the 'about me' bit on the top right - shouldn't it be vegheavenATliveDOTcom?

I know, no one likes a smart alec! Tee hee!

Kath said...

Smart Alecs who get you out of a self-dug hole are welcome - thanks, Hazel. Typed it and didn't check it. A lesson to us all!