VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 29 September 2008

Bean drying

Most of the beans are now yellowing and drying out but the leaves on the left belong to the True Red Cranberry pole bean which is still going strong. I'm taking off pods as they dry in case the plant slogs on to the frost and I lose some of them. It's a beautiful little bean.





I can see it being a winner in chillies. Thanks go to Seahorse for this little beauty.



These are at the shelly stage - Borlotti to the left, Bird's Egg to the right. I fancy the Bird's Egg are a touch bigger. In the dried state the Borlotti have slightly more maroon splashing and the background is creamier. Bird's Egg has a lighter background and a bit less dark red. Considering the crop I had from a wigwam of 10 Bird's Egg and a double row A frame of about 30 Borlotti I'm going for two wigwams of Bird's Egg next year, and hold the Borlotti. The latter were more vigorous and leafier but I don't eat the leaves! Borlotti from Thompson and Morgan, Bird's Egg from the Heritage Seed Library.




This is the Spagna Bianca butter bean. I have only dried a few, bringing them in as the pod matures and goes brown, because the weather re-wets them. There are only 2 or 3 beans to a pod so far, but with beans an inch long, you don't need a huge amount to make a portion. There are heaps to come - this has been a very vigorous climber. Thanks to David from Evington Hilltop for this one.



These are Serbian Pole Beans - another from David at Evington Hilltop. We've had them fresh - lovely flavour - and shelly. I'm a convert to shelly beans, having only eaten them like this when a commercial climbing bean 'went over'. They are not the heaviest cropper but a very pretty bean and worth a wigwam any year. They have a look of tiger beans.

The Cherokee Trail of Tears beans bear a strong resemblance to my random climbing bean from the dwarf soldiers. It makes me wonder if my original bean has a strong dose of Cherokee in its immediate history! I'm intrigued to see what next year brings from that one.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Gorgeous beans! The Borlotti and Bird's Egg look like Cadbury's mini eggs!

Kath said...

Wow Michelle, if I could grow mini-eggs I'd be rich! Nice thought though.

Rebsie Fairholm said...

Me too, a recent convert to shelly beans. Culturally we don't have much of a habit of eating them this way in this country, which is such a shame as they're fantastic. And because they keep so well they're an opportunity to eat home-grown veg right through the year. No matter how many you grow, you're never faced with trying to eat up the glut.

David kindly sent me the Serbian Pole beans too and they did really well ... a wonderful hearty texture and sweet flavour. Spagna Bianco is another favourite. As you say, the size of the beans more than makes up for the small number per pod.

BilboWaggins said...

Michelle has beaten me to it - I thought they looked like Cadbury's mini eggs too. Bad Veg Heaven - now I want chocolate!!!

BTW, nice subtle colour scheme Mrs Flum [g].

Hazel said...

Coo - those Spagna Bianca are HUGE!

Funny - I've always thought that beans are a bit of a faff with all that soaking and boiling - but I'm a convert to shelly beans too. I have loads fresh (& frozen) and I'm chucking a handful in whatever's cooking - it doesn't half the meat stretch!

Love playing with 'em too!

Matron said...

Beans are so beautiful like that, aren't they? Just so shiny and tactile, especially the plain old runner beans.

Kath said...

Yes Hazel, I'm convinced shellies are the way to go. I've got loads frozen, like you. We had a slack handful in a vegetable curry last night - really substantial and good.

Matron, I could play with my beans all day! (In fact I do when no-one's looking!)

Unknown said...

You've made me think about trying borlotti beans next year, thanks. How do they taste?

Kath said...

Hi Capsid. They are quite floury in texture and have a nutty, beany taste - like a haricot if you've ever cooked those from dried. They are great in a casserole or stew with pork for instance, and you can use them instead of the red beans in a chilli. They lose the colour and become creamy when cooked. I also love any kind of bean cooked by itself and with a little bit of butter added on the plate. Naughty but nice!

If you dry them completely you can store them forever - but the longer you keep them the longer they need cooking after an overnight soak. Used fresh as shelly though, I just put the podded beans straight into poly bags and into the freezer - no blanching - and they keep really well.

Ottawa Gardener said...

Those true cranberries are beautiful. I grow cherokee trail of tears every year and they are yummy in mexican food.

Kath said...

Hi Ottawa Gardnener - just had a look at your very inrteresting blog.
I have one ot two recipes with black beans but I've always had to buy them before. I'm looking forward to trying my Cherokees like this.