VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 14 September 2008

Selected tomatoes etc.

The right hand tomato is my first selection from Sungold to ripen. It is a lighter gold than the original. I planted up 8 F2 Sungolds and 4 of them had the same size and shape as Sungold. These had thicker stems than the others which have a drop shaped fruit. This is from S5 which was also the first to set fruit.
It is a sharp flavoured tomato which I like, but doesn't have so much balancing sweetness as Sungold. I like it enough to have saved some of its seeds. The next one, S8, is going to be ripe in a few days. These, although they have similar shaped fruits and bear them on the same sort of truss as Sungold, are not identical. The flowers were different. S5 had large flowers with recurved petals, whereas S8 had large open, star-shaped flowers. The trusses of S4, while otherwise similar to the previous two, have another set of leaves beyond the truss, which some of the Heritage varieties seem to do.

Of the plants with slender stems and drop-shaped fruits, S7 lost its truss of flowers in a summer storm (what a summer!) so I now have only 7 to taste.

These are the anomaly from the Berry F1 selection process. I have with 2 strawberry shaped fruits which taste fairly similar. I prefer one over the other but it's hard to tell if this isn't because it's so hard to get a fruit from each plant at exactly the same stage of ripeness. At any rate, there's a lovely tomato out of this selection. The plant above has much larger fruits and is only just starting to look something like. I reckon another 3 days should see me trying it for flavour. It sets good trusses of large fruits and if it's a good one I should get decent crops from it.


Don't let anyone tell you you HAVE to buy seeds! This absolute cracker is from a supermarket Italian Sweet Pepper. I've been eating them green - I sowed a dozen seeds from the kitchen chopping board and all came true. This is the first to show some sign of ripening. You do take the chance that your plant won't breed true but as I've shown from my tomato selections, you always get something edible and sometimes a winner. I've certainly paid folding currency for tomatoes far more bland and boring than those I've got from sowing F1 hybrid seeds.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
How did your Piccolo's turn out. Mine seemed a great success and fairly uniform, still going in the greenhouse but I'm afraid the blight got the ones outside and whilst I had a few ripe from Piccolo and sungold the rest ended up as chutney. Must try some blight resistant varieties or use Dithane next year which I'd rather avoid. Still have some seed from Piccolo's so will definitely sow some more, seemed better than sungold taste wise but not quite so productive. Not convinced there F1 but not having grown a F1 from seed don't really have too many comparisons to make.
Great blog by the way, always a good read and inspired me to do more seed saving
David

Matron said...

That's good advice! I've had some good results from experiments, those peppers look wonderful.

Kath said...

Hello again David. My piccolos are still not ripe - I didn't get them in particularly early because I got them from supermarket tomatoes early in the summer. They do look very unifomm though and like you, I'm not convinced they are F1. I saved extra seed though, and will get them in in good time next year.

Yes Matron, the peppers have been a great 'free' success! I'm saving seed again!

Hazel said...

Funnily enough, I had some piccolo toms from the supermarket and saved some seed too - they tasted fab, so we'll see how sun-of-piccolo turn out next year!

Robbiegirl said...

I got some mini orange peppers cheap at Lidl the other week and I've saved the seeds (although the packet said they were "practically seedless" there were actually a good amount of seeds in there - 6 tiny peppers have yielded maybe 100 seeds).

I'll be sowing them in the prop come February! Very exciting to see what I'll get. I'm actually hoping the peppers I bought were F1s so my plants will be F2s and I'll have some variety.

Kath said...

Hello Hazel and Anna. It's amazing how many people don't even save easy seeds but there's certainly a bit of adventure in trying the seeds from shop-bought fruit and vegetables. You can always eat your mistakes too!

BilboWaggins said...

It's all looking brilliant Mrs Flum. There's a nice post at Mas Du Diable today all about preserving tomatoes. http://www.masdudiable.com/A55C37/mdd.nsf/dx/Preserving-Tomatoes.htm

Anonymous said...

How funny I just came across your site via a blog called Fuggles and wanted to post to say wow! interesting stuff you are doing and the last comment is to check out the tomato preserving post I did.
Anyway I've been collecting some seeds from rogue plants too this year - it is very exciting - one of my dwarf fin de bagnol beans grew tall, flat and mid wide and was very tasty so I left it to grow and produce ripe dry pods. We'll see how they grow next year.
Great site i've added you to my blogroll

Kath said...

Hi Laura welcome to my blog! I hope your rogue beans turn up something good. Maybe in a year or two we can swap?