
Earlier this week we had some strange very fine snow - local weather man referred to it as freezing drizzle (frizzle?) which stuck to the trees on all sides and gave us a day of magical scenery. It was very cold though and not the weather for gardening.
I stood on the front door step and took this picture up the road.
Today is much milder. I had a session digging in the new compost and removing the over mature strawberry plants. The tame blackbird and robin followed to take advantage of the diet of worms. You can see the purple sprouting broccoli and the dwarf curly kale here with the netted cabbages behind.
We made a base of small mesh wire netting for the moved compost dalek, to prevent the local rodent population from finding a way in. I then started to fill it with rough stuff I'd removed in the digging process.
I'm starting some of my Stuttgarter Giant onion sets in polystyrene modules in the greenhouse to try and prevent the birds from hoiking them out. When they've started to form root systems I can plant them out and maybe the rows stand a chance of being straight enough to hoe between!
I've also got a pot full of Rose de Roscoff onion seeds sent by my Evington Hill friends, which are nicely peeking out of the soil. When they stand up a little straighter I'll prick them into individual modules to grow on a bit. It's very exciting growing something new.

2 comments:
Hellooo :)
Thats a lovely looking plot you have there! Wish we'd had some snow, it doesn't feel like we've had a winter this year at all...
Not as large as your plot! I suspect we're in for more snow soon here - don't know about Gloucester.
Post a Comment