VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 18 February 2008

Muck and magic




It's got to be a strange sort of person who can get excited about compost! I moved one of my Daleks to its new position where the pampas grass was, and put the contents on part of the veg plot, with a good dollop on the rhubarb ... I know, you like custard on yours!




I was followed around as I barrowed, by our tame blackbird Wendy, who picked over the heaps for worms.




Two more Daleks to empty and we're ready for the new shed.




The trellis separating the compost area from the rest of the garden will be the site of the new Iviary. That's like a Fernery only with Ivy. I want something evergreen to screen the area off and I've been nurturing some ivy cuttings since making my Christmas wreaths and flower arrangements. It's hardly the national collection but I have 5 different types and I can keep them under control by snipping for flower arrangements.
I'm holding off seed sowing until the days are a bit longer but I've planted two seed potatoes in pots in the unheated greenhouse. They are lagged with serious bubblewrap so I might manage to get an early crop from them. I intend to put another couple of seed spuds in in about a fortnight to tide me over till the main sowing time.
As I seem to have come unwashed, I'm off now for a scrub up and change of clothing. Why do I always think, in the face of so much evidence to the contrary, that I can garden in pale trousers?

1 comment:

BilboWaggins said...

Morning Mrs Flummery, I guess we can be strange together. I have already planned where the compost bins and leaf mould cages will go at Bag End. Can't wait to get started! hugs, Bilbo