My chilli harvest has been brilliant this year - at lest, it will be when they ripen! I've eaten a bell pepper but they are nice green. These are the first Scotch Bonnets and I hope I won't be waiting too ling for them. they are going paler so ripening may be on its way!
These are Cayenne, a favourite of mine. I had enough last year to dry and I've only just used the last of them. Again, I want them to go red - time, patience, ah, that's what I need!
We've had a huge harvest of my own variety of tomato 'Eleanor' - called after grandchild number 2. Grandchild number 1 has her own variety, a small sweet red, a cross between Tiger Tom and Sungold. This year it has thrown up a yellow tomato which is even better in flavour. Seed for Yellow Caitlin is being saved as we speak.
My home-bred purple mangetout pea had a serious setback this year. The paddock behind the house has become home (warren?) to a family of voracious rabbits. They chewed the tops out of the pea plants and only a few survives; so few that I'm saving them for next year's seed. These things (rabbits!) are sent to try us. They also ate all but one of the leaders on my runner beans but these have regrown from below so I've had a decent harvest.

3 comments:
Sorry to hear about the rabbits. We had a couple earlier in the year but I think a stoat or something got gthem.
quite a difficult year all round. I managed to overwinter my scotch bonnet plants.
I shall try that with my Scotch Bonnet. Harvested my first red cayenne today (and a green jalapeno) so I'm making chilli for dinner!
Post a Comment