VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Autumn

The Heritage Bird's Egg beans are swelling up now.  In a couple of weeks they will begin to look a bit leathery and at that point I'll pick them and let them continue to dry at home on newspaper.  Memo to self.  Buy a newspaper!  When they are fully dried they can be kept (for years) until soaked and boiled.  Brilliant in a chilli or cassoulet.


The autumn raspberries are coming thick and fast.  They don't have the flavour of the summer varieties but they're a valuable and welcome crop at this time of the year.

I love them with yoghurt for breakfast.


 On Saturday we had a walk around Heyburn Wyke on the north Yorkshire coast - north of Scarborough.  It was obvious that autumn was soming although it was one of the warmest days for a long time.


8 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Your raspberries look gorgeous, botrytis on some of ours, not as bad as the strawberry crop but disappointing nonetheless.

The colour of the sea in your last photo is sublime ... sunshine envy from the west coast!

QuiltSue said...

Those rasberries look wonderful.

Matron said...

I just love shelling dry beans at the end of Summer. Like jewels!

Unknown said...

I'm envious of your raspberries! This was the first summer that we had a nice crop--because I finally learned how to prune them properly. It's amazing how they like to be treated right! With everything I grow, I've yet to try shelling beans. I ordered several different heirloom varieties this year but never put them out--I ran out of room. Still, I think I'll find space for them next year. I love beans with names like "Lazy Housewife"--that's my kind of bean! ;-) The last photo is just so gorgeous--what a lovely scene! Just found your site but look forward to returning often!

Kath said...

Hi Julie - we all like to be treated right, don't we. Rasps are such a generous crop.
Hope to see you back here soon.

Daniel Chapman said...

The berries look good! It is getting to be that time of year again isn't it.

Caro said...

I had a huge amount of raspberries this year but agree that the flavour is not as good as summer fruiters. I'm hoping to add some summer fruiting canes to my veg patch next year - if I can find a space for them!

Patrick said...

You are so blessed to have raspberries in Autumn. Just envisions your berries in fresh yogurt. Just yum.