VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 25 September 2011

Beans and a visitor

Some of my Bird's Egg beans have been colour negatives but apart from one or two pods, have been one or the other. This pod and a couple more like it, have been mixed. It makes you wonder what is going on in genetic terms.


This weekend we found this odd little chap in the garden. He seems to be an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar. He sits up to look fierce when you touch him. We had to distract the chickens at the other end of the garden so they didn't eat him! He looks like he might have been a bit nasty but I suspect they'd have had a go before they found that out.

6 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

It certainly looks like an elephant hawk moth baby. Last year my plot neighbour shouted that she had found a snake on her plot and could I come quickly - it was this fellows relative that was fully extended. I also raised on to moth-hood once. Beautiful moth.

Caro said...

I think it's been an odd year all round with very funny things happening to the veg. Your beans are another novelty! I blame the weather! Your creature does look very fierce and can thank you for a lucky escape!

BilboWaggins said...

I found a Poplar Hawk Moth in July which was beautiful. Hope you can put this little chap somewhere safe for the winter - he'll stand no chance if the chickens find him!

littlekarstar said...

Oh wow! You'd need to look carefully to notice him/her.

flowerlady said...

He is a beauty,they like to fed on shrubs that have lovely scent at night.I found a pair munching there way through a fuschia,but the reason they were there was there was a Lonicera tatirica next to it.Apparently they over winter underneath the shrubs,so if you can find somewhere the chickens wont find them you should see them next year,the moths a beautiful.

Matron said...

Beans are just stunning when they come out of the pod this time of year. I have seen that colour reversal several times in those borlotti type beans. I don't think it has any effect at all in the next generation.