VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Bean harvest

These gorgeous 'sweeties' of the Grow Your Own world are my Bird's Egg beans. Most of them are cream with maroon splashes but there's a small proportion that comes out the other way around - a sort of photographic negative effect. I've never tried growing these on specifically but others who have say you still get the usual proportion of mainly cream and a very few maroons. I might try it myself next year - just for the sake of experiment. They are a lovely bean for a casserole, cassoulet, chilli, just about any purpose you can conceive of for a bean. I might try swapping 5 for a cow.




Here they are as the pods begin to dry. At this stage I bring them indoors and allow them to dry to full crispness on newspaper before podding out.




I am having a little celebration this evening - I have heard today that our Yorkshire In Bloom group have received a Silver Gilt award for the village. This is quite a feather in our collective cap. We are volunteers and there are only 8 of us in all. Proud day!



5 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Silver Gilt? Gads, m'dear - that's barely a whisker off a Gold and you have every right to feel extremely proud of yourselves. Well done to you all. There will have to have a celebratory sherbet (or two) when we see you next month.

QuiltSue said...

Woohoo, I think a Silver Gilt award deserves a BIG celebration. Well done to you all.

Sue Garrett said...

Congratulations on the award

Kath said...

Thank you all. We are a bit chuffed, you might say!

Matron said...

I am just shelling a good batch of the Croatian Black beans you sent me in Spring. They are prolific and wonderful!
(word verification ; sperm )