VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Not simply red!

I do love a bit of variety with my tomatoes. From the top right they are French Black (brought home by an internet friend from a French market purchase on holiday a few years back - real name unknown), Green Zebra, the good old fashioned Alicante, Yellow Russian and my own cross, Ice and Fire. The central orange cherry tom is Eleanor, a sweet selection and F6 from Sungold.



Makes for an interesting tomato bowl!





And on the subject of colour, this is Purple Heart, my own potato. Its pinky-purple outside fades to greyish white but inside it is a glorious deep purple. I steam them and they make the most fantastic potato salad, particularly if you use a red onion! I know a lot of people think tomatoes should be red and potatoes should be white, but I like to bring a bit of colour to my life. They taste great too!

7 comments:

Mrs.Pickles said...

Love the colour. I think it makes the food taste better too... :)

Sue Garrett said...

We go in for multi coloured vegetables too. It's also supposed to be good for your health to eat lots of different colours.

QuiltSue said...

So not only do you make scrappy quilts, you do scrappy tomato salads too!

Matron said...

After my own heart! I hardly grow regular red tomatoes these days, I just love to experiment with colours and shapes. My favourite for flavour this year is the small chocolate cherry. I think you sent me the seeds a few years ago. Thank you!

Kath said...

I do love the expression 'scrappy tomato salads' Sue! I might pinch it!

BilboWaggins said...

What a great selection, very envious. Not doing well on the tomato front this year - huge quantities of fruit set but just will not ripen - regularly down to 7 degrees at night and I don't think there is enough heat for the plants. Am closing the greenhouse earlier and earlier each day :{

Kath said...

Still leaving mine open Bilbo. I only had one 7 degree night (last week).