VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 5 August 2011

More spuds and peas

These are the commercially available Shetland Black. As you can see from the one I scraped and cut in half, they are really a very deep purple and inside are white fleshed with a purple line around the edge. I steamed them. The flavour is very good, slightly nutty, but they lose the purple big time and become a rather unprepossessing brown on cooking.



Here you can see the F1 hybrid between Carruthers' Purple Podded and Magnum Bonum (top) and my F3 purple mangetout below. It shows up better in real life than in the photo, but the podder is smooth but the mangetout, when mature like this, is knobbly and you can see the individual peas inside.


1 comment:

Matron said...

I think I'll dig up another batch of my Shetland Black potatoes. Mine fell apart on cooking, maybe I'll give them another go!