VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Monday, 15 November 2010

Poppy Day

On the day after Remembrance Sunday this beauty opened in my garden. There are several more in bud. This oriental poppy usually flowers in May.
I always find Remembrance services deeply moving, the biggest tragedy being that the War to End Wars didn't.

6 comments:

Robert Brenchley said...

I couldn't cope with remembrance day services for years after my girls were caught in the civil war in Sierra Leone; it's all about the military (my daughter still has panic attacks when she sees too many soldiers), and they barely mention the civilian victims. I do take Remembrance Day services again now - I did one yesterday - but I make a point of talking about civilians.

Jo said...

How apt for your poppy to bloom now.

BilboWaggins said...

Lest We Forget ...

Beautiful poppy, unsettling that it should flower this week.

Kath said...

You are so right about civilians being equal casualties in war Robert. So many deaths and so many haunted survivors, like your daughter. I find myself thinking of the civilian inhabitants of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, both the dead and the horribly wounded survivors. There are no winners in a war.

Strangely, Jo and Bilbo, my friend has oriental poppies flowering now in her garden. It's a feature of the really strange seasons we have had this year.

Matron said...

You just reminded me, the garden where I grew up had an enormous patch of lovely Oriental poppies, always stunning!

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

It is moving. I live in Sweden, but I remember when I lived in U.K. that is is a great day - we shall never forget our heroes. And never forget the war!

Tyra