VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Friday, 11 December 2009

Heritage Seed Library

The much-awaited Heritage Seed Library catalogue arrived yesterday. This is produced by Garden Organic (used to be the Henry Doubleday Research Association) and contains lists, photos and descriptions of heritage seeds and those no longer available from commercial seed companies. I have spent some time trying to decide which goodies to choose - the annual membership fee of £20 entitles me to 6 packets. Not cheap for a packet of seeds, but they are seeds you can't get anywhere else (unless you swap them of course!) I have had great problems trying to tear myself away from the bean section!

Yesterday I decided to have a look at my oca (oxalis tuberosum) as the frost had flattened the foliage. Some small tubers like this are visible on the surface - unlike the solanacea they don't go green if exposed to light so that's not a problem. The pictured specimen is bigger than the four I received in a seed swap and they grew like stink! I'm hoping for bigger ones below the surface. I tried one of them raw - a bit lemony and very juicy. I can imagine it grated in a salad or as part of a coleslaw. I'm going to try them roasted next.

This is my door ring. Its ribbon is a deep red and, I think, rather subtle. We still have 6 orders to make up. After that, apologies people, but we have run out of rings and wire!

10 comments:

Stefaneener said...

Nothing like cuddling up with a catalog on cold days! Enjoy.

BilboWaggins said...

I find it hard to believe you resisted the bean section!

The wreath is wonderful.

Kath said...

Yes, I do enjoy a seed catalogue.
I didn't entirely resist Bilbo - I restricted myself to 2!

Celia Hart said...

I have my HSL catalogue too! Hours of happy musings before I choose my selection for 2010 - one of life's little pleasures, with a slice of Christmas Cake and a glass of home made Sloe Gin, a cosy log fire and the cats - Winter Heaven!

Love the Christmas wreath - haven't made ours yet - yours is an inspiration!

Celia

Daniel Chapman said...

Sounds like a catalog after my own heart! I have been read about oca quite a bit this season, I should look for some.

QuiltSue said...

Your wreath is beautiful. I looked at some at a garden centre yesterday, but when I saw what they were charging this year I came away without one! So I'll just have a naked front door this year I think.

Unknown said...

I'm slightly envious of your HSL catalogue having had to give up my HDRA and HSL membership after 21 years due to financial constraints. It's a real shame that you can't buy HSL membership independently of the main Garden Organic package, which became a bit too commercial and disney-esque for my taste in recent years.
Enjoy your seeds and I look forward to seeing what you choose and grow next season.
:)

Kath said...

Hi Scarlett - you can join the HSL independently. I'm not a member of Garden Organic - just of the seed library.
Celia - it's the best catalogue isn't it? Stuff you can't get anywhere else!
Sue - have a go yourself. You can buy the wreath ring and wire from a florist and stuff it with wet paper or oasis if you can't get the moss.
Dan - maybe I should post you some?

Matron said...

Can't wait to hear what they taste like. They look like a coloured Jerusalem artichoke.

Kath said...

Well, I think the lemony potato description is spot on. We had some roasted today and they lose the deep red colour, the interior goes yellow and quite soft, but it has that slightly zingy edge. We all loved them so they are on the Christmas Dinner menu this year!