VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 29 November 2009

Advent Welcome Rings - a village venture

Some months ago the Village in Bloom group and the local parish church flower group began planning to make door rings and pomanders for the village, using local greenery. The idea really took off - we have spawned a monster! With a group of 8 people and orders for 55 rings and 4 pomanders, we have really had our work cut out. We spent the first part of the day mossing up the rings then managed to produce 30-odd rings on the day working from 10.00 - 5.45 with a sandwich lunch on the job. We have planned another session on Tuesday evening in hopes of finishing the job. At first, I was chuffed to think that the idea - which was originally mine - had taken off so well. As the orders came in and the scale of the job became apparent I began to feel a little sheepish about it!



We started with a heap of fresh evergreen plant material collected on Friday from around the village.

Next we packed our wire rings with moss, binding it around with wire till it gave a firm base for the greenery.







After this, the greenery s gathered into bunches and bound in, again with florists' wire, to cover the ring completely. The art is to make a 'pattern' and include bunches of similar material at intervals around the ring.The final stage is to add wired fir cones and ribbon bows to the taste of the customer. This person wanted gold ribbon. Many chose red or red and green tartan.

Here's an example of a pomander. Some people wanted these so they could make use of their summer hanging basket brackets.

After the second lot have been made and more of them become apparent in the village I shall take a few door photos.

12 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

OH WOW!!!

I want to live in your village . . . what a fabulous project, well done to you all.

Gary and Jen, and Ruby and Peter said...

Wow,
They look great !
If I was local, i might have had to place an order!

TTFN

Stefaneener said...

They're lovely; how big is your village?

Daniel Chapman said...

Nice work! I really like the pomander, just beautiful.

QuiltSue said...

They are stunning. How do you feel about travelling round the country and doing them for your friends, and their friends, and their...

Kath said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments. The village has just over 700 on the voting register, Steph.
Nice try Sue, but it will take till Christmas for my hands to recover. I strapped up my thumb and forefinger on each hand with elastoplast, but holly bites!

BilboWaggins said...

Sore hands - try strapping up your fingers with the wonderful "stick to itself" bandage that vets sell (very useful for dogs and horses!), doesn't leave ghastly residue on yoru skin and is cheap.

Also comes in a range of ludicrous bright colours so you can look goofy at the same time.

(and BTW, you are not THAT much older than me {giggle})

sewali said...

Oh dear, you've made much too goo a job of those Flum, I expect you'll get orders for 700 next year LOL!! Congratulations to the labourers, they're beautiful.

Sewing Granny said...

your village will look so festive this Christmas, please take some photos of theose wreaths in situ so we can all see how lovely it looks and how clever you and your friends have been. Are you doing anythig round the Church porch this year? the decorations for the summer wedding were pretty I am sure you can do something similar with winter evergreens!

Kath said...

Actually Granny, I have been asked to decorate the chancel arch rather than the church porch arch for Christmas. I think the idea is that it will be see during the services.

Hazel said...

Coo! I love those - you clever lot! Especially the pomander jobbies - not seen those before and (as you say) they are perfect for unused hanging basket hooks.

You will take pics of the chancel arch for us in due course, won't you?

Ottawa Gardener said...

Lucky village. What beautiful festive decorations. I've been meaning to make a wreath for the door and you are further inspiring me.