Garden jobs recently have included the boring but necessary cleaning of the greenhouse to make room for some sheltered winter crops (not quite finished - there's a wealth of chick-weed at ground level and it seems a pity not to feed it over the next few days to the chickens.)

During a recent walk around the village I collected some autumn leaves and berries to make an autumn arrangement for the house. Where I might have put 3 big chrysanthemums (if I'd had any) I placed 3 seed heads from the agapanthus which were so lovely over the late summer.

Today was one of those flawless sunny days that are possible even so late in the year. It was crisp at first but I had to take a layer off before we turned for home. In the distance on this shot you can see a row of pines. On the way out we saw a pair of bullfinches in the trees there which kept coming down to drink and bathe in a puddle on the path. They were too far away and my camera not good enough for a picture here.


Last week our Britain in Bloom group met to discuss out joint venture with the village church - wreaths and pomanders for the village doors this Christmas. Our expert (a floristry teacher) made up a 'for instance' to show the rest of us what we will be aiming for. We are offering to prune people's evergreens at the end of the month, providing they let us keep the bits! Early December should see some very seasonal front doors in this village.

7 comments:
What a wonderful wreath! I have been eyeing my hedgerows in the last few weeks when I take Buddy out for a walk each day. I don't think it will be too long before I take a pair of secateurs along with me one day! I have just been inspired!
Your Expert's wreath is so beautiful that I don't know if it would inspire me, or put me off!
I saw the thrush back for the first time this week going for the rowan berries, and our first flock of long tailed tits - like a magic eye picture, once you can see one in the tree, loads more who were there all the time jump into view!
Your English landscape looks much like ours currently. Lots of leafless trees and browned foliage. Still have not decided if I like this time of year although when there is a blue sky and a little chill in the air it is beautiful.
Your group will do something lovely this year, I bet.
Those crisp days make me so happy. I think Autumn is truly my favorite season.
What a beautiful day you had! I look forward to seeing the village's decorated doors this December!
cheers!
What a wonderful idea to do wreaths for people. I love them, but could never make one for myself.
Doing wreaths for the village is a wonderful idea, there will be old folk who will really appreciate you doing some pruning.
Did you see the article in RHS "Garden" recently about the community group in London who are collecting apples and turning it into juice? They are called Organiclea - www.organiclea.org.uk - you have such a wonderful community spirit in your village I can see something like that being a success for you too.
Post a Comment