VEGETABLE HEAVEN

Growing and eating lovely food. Trying something different. Saving seeds, breeding my own varieties. Gardening isn't dull!



Sunday, 13 December 2009

Roast veg

The first lifting of Jerusalem Artichokes were scrubbed, thinly peeled and popped into some hot oil to serve with our Sunday Roast today. I really love artichokes, however they are cooked.

This sad sight is one of the Oca plants. They have gone all stringy and a bit rubbish looking, but I am assured by those who've grown them before, that when the top growth is reduced by further frosts to a bit of slime, the starch from the thick fleshy stems will have gone into the tubers and they will all be good and fat. I grubbed up a few more today - one wasn't bad actually - about 4" long - and they too got the hot oil treatment. They are really good. The deep red tuber goes much paler when cooked and the inside is fluffy and yellow, rather like a roast potato. There is a citrus zing to the flavour though, that really lifts them from being a bland root to being rather special. I'm intending to serve them with the Christmas Dinner this year.

6 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

Oh, yum yum. How long did you roast the JA's for?

Robert Brenchley said...

My oca is in a similar state, with tubers sticking out of the ground. I don't know what frost does to the tubers, so I've fleeced it until I can lift them.

Hazel said...

Keep forgetting about my JAs tucked away in the 'messy' corner at the plot! I'm not the world's biggest fan, but they do add something different to a tray of winter roast veg.

Your oca has piqued my interest - must read up about them - you'd grow them again?

Daniel Chapman said...

The oca offer is awfully tempting. Your not supposed to import tubers, bulbs or live plants though, not to say I have not done it before... It is up to you, maybe if they can go letter mail without a customs form they will make it.

Kath said...

JA took about 40 mins in medium over Bilbo.

I'm a hard woman Robert, I've just left mine!

Yes Hazel, I'll certainly find room for a few next year. They come at a time when crops are few and far between.

I'll see what I can sneak in a letter nearer planting time Dan!

Matron said...

I love artichokes! My fingers always freeze when I scrub them under the garden hose outside, but well worth the effort.